Thursday, January 24, 2008

29 weeks and growing

This past week at the hospital, I've been working the pediatric floor- and I see a whole lot of ill babies and young kids. Not surprisingly, these little people tend to have been premature or have unhelpful (read: overprotective or absent) parents. It's really hard to accept that some parents don't innately feel blessed by their child...and that its the child who suffers.

On top of that, I toured the NICU today and saw babies younger than Jacob fighting so hard for survival. My brother (Dana) was born at 28 weeks, and so I kept comparing these babies to both Jacob (the image I've got in my head) and Dana. It's miraculous what medicine is capable of... and almost more amazing is what tender compassion, love, and guidance can do for these teeny creatures. Without the persistant adoration and constant love from my parents, Dana could very easily have spent most of his childhood in a hospital or even special schools struggling to keep up with the "normal" kids- or just struggling for his life. Instead, he's thrived physically and mentally (he's too smart for his own good). Sure, there are some aspects of Dana that are likely linked to his early departure from the womb, but these things haven't restricted him to a bed or daily dependence upon others.




Anyway, my point is: I'm relieved to be 29 weeks along, I'm so fortunate to have each and every piece of family, and working in a hospital will reinforce not only the role of nutrition in healing but also the power of love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birth is a miracle! Struggling for life is in itself a miracle. You are blessed. You are so right about the struggles parents and babies can have. We had a new-born on our hospice program-Trisomy 18. The mother could not enjoy her pregnancy thinking she would lose the baby anyday, then lose it at birth. Miraculously, she survived longer than anybody thought-at 3 pounds! I, too, thought of Dana and how little he was..I had forgotten.I am the social worker, and wanted to hold the baby and cry;I held off what tears I really wanted to shed. (did shed a few though)But I went to sleep thinking if the baby would survive the night and woke up wondering if the baby did survive. First question every morning... I cannot EVEN imagine. The baby is SO cute-would not know the internal problems-hole in heart, possibly 1 kidney, more than likely mental retardation. But, because she is living at almost 3 weeks, we are signing her off so she can get the physical and medical attention she needs, such as physical therapy, possibly upcoming surgeries of cleft palate, club foot, and maybe on the heart later on for her shortened life!Family is looking at this as a little miracle! And then on top of this, a coworker (social worker) found out at 18 weeks that her baby girl had a neural tube defect (brain not developing) so she and her husband decided not to carry the baby full term. There is a purpose and a reason for these challenges! Anyway, with these situations, I had to validate that you were okay, so went to your blog that night, just to be sure everything was looking good. Wakes us up, doesn't it..!Then I feel SO fortunate to have somewhat normal three boys!!!!! Love to you...and continue to take good care of yourself! Plan to see the baby in June!!(Sorry if I rambled!!)Love Lois

Anonymous said...

I left message on your cell phone. Cody needs to pick your brain on chemistry for science fair project (plus he wants to say hi!!)Thanks, Lois