Sunday, December 30, 2007

Happy Holidays from North Cackalac


In a whirlwind of games, wrapping paper, and laughter, Ashley, Baby Jacob and I experienced our first christmas with a little one on the way. Ashley got cloth diapers, I got a book on Fathering, and Jacob made out like a bandit with gift certificates, Arizona Cardinals attire, bibs and books. Spending quality time with the entire Chell family has been a blessing. We've been sleeping late while listening to the rain, watching movies, and playing games. Families are awesome. When I think about all those who are going to be here to love and comfort young Jacob, all my worries go away. Sure they'll be times when we don't know what to do because he's screaming his head off, but I'm sure we'll get someone on the phone with some experience. I mean, between our two parents, there have been 8 offspring, so we will be tapping into a wealth of knowledge.


I have been reading my new book and learning more each day. In addition, we've had literal hands on experience with the babysitting my my young nephew Samuel. I changed a diaper! Ok, it wasn't that amazing, and I asked Ashley for help, but still, it was the first time in over 10 years. Baby Samuel is awesome. He reminds me of his uncle. He likes to dance, especially to his favorite song "La Bamba." He has given us some good experience.




We were also glad to run into some of our favorite babies (and their parents). We ran into Lily, the 2 1/2 month old daughter of Jesse and Christy Steel (teamsteel.blogspot.com) twice. The first was from across the street, as old neighbors were given a chance to catch up. Then, a few days later, we were sad to think that we had missed them and were delighted to find they were in BabiesRUs when we went to register for Jacob with my sister Traeci who is pregnant again. It was good to see you, Steels! Later on during the day we first met young Lily, we drove to the town of Winston to see another young friend of ours by the name of Elgin, the 3 week old son of Tripp and Alecia Fuller (aleciantrippfuller.blogspot.com). While he still sleeps a lion's share, I got to hold him for 20 minutes as he dreamed. It is wonderful to see people in the same phase of life.


Other than that, we've just been hangin out. Thanks to Grandpa Jeff we went to a Hockey game (go Canes!) and went to a sports bar (go Cardinals!). Grandma Ruth has been entertaining us and doting on us since we arrived as well. Great Grandma Barnes, Aunts Emily and Grayson, and Uncle Dana have all commented on Ashley's growing belly and have felt Jacob kick.


So, now that you are caught up on all of the highlights of our adventures, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 2008 is the year of the Jacob!


God's love,
Daniel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys need to do another blog! It was soo good to see you both at New Years :-) Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

hey there! Sounds like you had nice holidays! Just curious, what cloth diapers are you using?