Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mr Personality at 6 weeks

We survived (okay, I survived, everyone else flourished and did wonderfully) my return to work last week- here we are a the end of 2 week now. Next Monday marks my return to full-time.... it's all going so fast!
Thomas is loosing his newbornish qualities, though he still grunts and makes allll the newborn noises. Yesterday brought intentional smiles and occassional chuckles and he is making fantastic eye contact! While he still detests most diaper changes (though he doesn't always cry so hard he stops breathing), he has learned to love warm baths, especially with his brother.
Though we aren't sure, there is thought that Thomas has a dairy sensitivity- even through my milk. Until this past week, he's had pretty crazy tummy troubles in additiona to some serious skin issues going on. It's been dairy-free for me for about 2 weeks now and his tummy has been better since Monday. His skin, well...it started as 'usual' baby acne, but in the past 3 weeks it's become a pattern of rashy, dry, irritated skin that flakes off like post-intense-sunburn. I have no idea what to do for him....my mom has taken to calling him her "little italian bread stick" as we have been slathering him in olive oil for nearly a week now.
Any ideas or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
Good thing is his skin doesn't seem to bug him too much. And please, take a look at that giant baby and compare it to the newborn shots....in just a few weeks time, he exploded!
And finally, a little snippet of Thomas and his newborn noises, some eye contact, and the beginnings of a smile. And some Jaciob laughter in there, too!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is the only thing that comes to mind. He is just plain precious. He has gotten SO big! I feel like I don't remember Jacob getting THIS big THIS quickly. My goodness.

As for his poor little tummy and skin, yikes! I feel his pain on the post sunburn skin, that is NO fun. I wish I could offer some home remedies, I'll be sure to ask for some from friends and family! My friend who has worked in a day care says it may be eczema and to go with an intense baby moisturizer? That's all I have to offer, I wish I could be more help!

I'll be sending Thomas and the rest of the family warm thoughts and lots of love!

-Rachel

Melissa Pearce said...

Aw, poor baby. Cana had an issue with dairy, too, and dairy takes about 4-6 weeks to get completely out of your system...so it could be on the mend. I had to be a nazi about the dairy though, nothing could have even a little bit of dairy in it! I hope things are better soon!

Anonymous said...

My friend also mentioned that her cousin was allergic to one of the fats in the milk and couldn't digest the fat and came off as lactose intolerance, but it was just an allergic reaction. Hope some of this helps!

-Rachel

Ashley said...

Rachel: we're scared it's ecxzema...so we're gonna keep pretending that isn't what is all over his face and extending to his shoulders and torso. ughh. Thanks for the advice!!!
Melissa: good to know another momma doing the non-dairy route. I feel pretty confident it has helped his tummy but I really hope it helps skin soon. Thanks for telling me it can take 4-6 wks...now I'll hold on to hope!

Anonymous said...

uh oh.

no, that's MY nose.

Anonymous said...

jacob looks so grown up taking care of his brother there in the tub.

thomas looks so pitiful as a striped little italian bread stick.

Anonymous said...

the timing of jacob's laughter is appropriate.